happy belated new year & christmas! I hope you all had a wonderful time relaxing with your families.
Today I'm going to share with you a delicious veggie-based dish. It's a veggie chow mein with a unique & different licoricey peanuty sauce. At first, I wasn't too sure about combining licorice & peanut together, but they were very happy. It's super simple & quick to make.
Veggie chow mein (Serves 2)
- 1 pack of chow mein noodles.
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 baby bok choy, sliced length-wise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp turmeric
- oil of choice
Licorice - Peanut Sauce
- 1/2 cup cooked onion & garlic mix (see below)
- 3 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 Tbsp fennel
- 1/2 Tbsp braggs (or soy sauce)
- 1 tsp coconut aminos (may substitute vegan worcestershire)
- 1/2 Tbsp sesame oil (add extra if thicker sauce desired)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (more or less for desired heat)
- 1/4 cup water
- salt to taste
To make sauce, combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
To start, bring a pot of water to boil. Add chow mein noodles & cook for 3 minutes. Drain & set aside.
Next, add oil to a small pan and heat on medium. Add turmeric when hot and mix until fragrant. Add onions & garlic. Cook until onion translucent. Set aside & reserve 1/2 cup for sauce**.
In a separate pan, add oil and heat on medium. Add carrots & cook for a couple minutes. Next, add celery, pepper & broccoli, and cook until becoming soft. Lastly, add bok choy and cook until all are soft. Add remaining onions, chow mein noodles, and sauce. Mix until evenly coated. Top with peanuts.